15 January 2013

15th Jan - The Byrds' The Notorious Byrd Brothers


Artist – Album: The Byrds – The Notorious Byrd Brothers
Released:  15th January 1968
Sounds Like: The Notorious B.Y.R.Ds

Since this blog started ages ago (that is, two weeks ago), things have changed somewhat. You’ll recall (wishful thinking on my part) that back then I listed my reasons for starting a blog where I listened to a different album celebrating it’s birthday every day. Just to refresh your memory, dear forgetful reader, these were:

  • I’m currently ‘in-between jobs’ and so needed a stupid project...
  • My girlfriend has a popular fashion blog and I wanted to get in on the action.
  • My itunes has swelled to scary proportions and I needed a way to explore it all without listening to the same old stuff over and over again.

Now though:  good news, I have a new job! And, bad news, Clare and I have broken up! Further, no news, my itunes is still huge and intimidating!

Needless to say, I’ve had a bit of a tumultuous time of it recently. Thank God then that this album came along next.

The Notorious Byrd Brothers was born of turbulent times itself, created by a quartet that would lose two of its members before the record was released and finished despite countless squabbles and controversies. The end result though is a soothing, psychedelic country affair; progressive yet comforting; inventing yet inoffensive.

It is a brilliant album, and about the only bad thing I can think to say about it is that, at 28 minutes, it’s too short. Otherwise, it is flawless.

Albumaday... rating:   9/10

1.       Artificial Energy – 2:18
2.       Goin’ Back – 3:26
3.       Natural Harmony – 2:11
4.       Draft Morning – 2:42
5.       Wasn’t Born to Follow – 2:04
6.       Get to You – 2:39
7.       Change Is Now – 3:21
8.       Old John Robertson – 1:49
9.       Tribal Gathering – 2:03
10.   Dolphin’s Smile – 2:00
11.   Space Odyssey – 3:52

Listen to ‘Wasn’t Born to Follow’: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hEfcawx6Fc

Also released on the 14th January:
2007: Frank Turner – Sleep is For the Week


Also released on the 14th January:
2008: Magnetic Fields - Distortion





No comments:

Post a Comment