11 October 2013

11th October - ABBA's Arrival


Artist – Album: ABBA - Arrival
Released: 11th October 1976
Sounds Like: holidays are coming

Arrival reminds me of Christmas music. That’s even without the 1997 reissue that included ‘Fernando’ (which is hardly a Christmas song anyway – just because there’s a massive snowman in the music video doesn’t make it a Christmas song guys!). I’m not really sure why; I can assure you that the Douglas’ have never sat around the Christmas tree or a warm fire, adorned in festive jumpers and armed with egg nog, belting out ‘Dancing Queen’ like it was a classic carol (not that I can remember at least...). But for some reason, all the way from the stonking opener ‘When I Kissed the Teacher’ to the lovely closing instrumental title track, I can’t help but think of the most wonderful time of the year.

It may be the overabundance of sleigh bells proliferating the album, or it may be because the production is akin to similar-era Wizzard and Slade novelty hits. It may be the fact that euro-fluff such as ‘Dum Dum Diddle’ is a direct ancestor of ‘Have a Cheeky Christmas’ (although this should not be seen as reflective of the quality as a whole; I defy anyone to find an album containing three pop hits as delectable as ‘Dancing Queen’, ‘Money, Money, Money’ and the glorious, aching ‘Knowing Me, Knowing You’). Even the album cover looks like they’re trapped in a bauble.

The final theory for my festive folly is that it’s just an album that, like yuletide, leaves you fit to burst with excitement. Just over 10 weeks guys!

Albumaday... rating: 7/10

1.       When I Kissed the Teacher – 3:00
2.       Dancing Queen – 3:50
3.       My Love, My Life – 3:52
4.       Dum Dum Diddle – 2:50
5.       Knowing Me, Knowing You – 4:02
6.       Money, Money, Money – 3:05
7.       That’s Me – 3:15
8.       Why Did It Have to Be Me – 3:20
9.       Tiger – 2:55
10.   Arrival – 3:00

Listen to ‘Knowing Me, Knowing You’: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUrzicaiRLU

No comments:

Post a Comment