5 November 2013

5th November - The Mountain Goats' Tallahassee


Artist – Album: The Mountain Goats - Tallahassee
Released: 5th November 2002
Sounds Like: This is for loners

In a few weeks time, Paul will be the first of my group of friends to take the plunge and get married. If, for whatever reason, I wanted him to reconsider (and I don’t!), then I would simply have him listen to this 40 minute long hurting and spiteful spew of marital vitriol.

Barely concealed under the clean but simple arrangements of delicate acoustic guitars and Josh Darnielle’s lovely voice, the lyrics serve to skewer any concept of marital bliss and give flesh to the idea of trouble in paradise. Each and every song is fantastically scornful and desperate, but the greatest lyrics are on the brilliant, venomous ‘No Children’:

“And I hope when you think of me years down the line
You can't find one good thing to say
And I'd hope that if I found the strength to walk out
You'd stay the hell out of my way
I am drowning
There is no sign of land
You are coming down with me
Hand in unlovable hand”

Paul, I implore you, don’t listen to this album! Just ignore it son.

Albumaday... rating: 8/10

1.       Tallahassee – 4:42
2.       First Few Desperate Hours – 3:03
3.       Southwood Plantation Road – 2:45
4.       Game Shows Touch Our Lives – 3:48
5.       The House That Dripped Blood – 2:53
6.       Idylls of the King – 3:32
7.       No Children – 2:46
8.       See America Right – 1:54
9.       Peacocks – 3:44
10.   International Small Arms Traffic Blues – 2:50
11.   Have to Explode – 3:21
12.   Old College Try – 2:52
13.   Oceanographer’s Choice – 4:08
14.   Alpha Rats Nest – 2:10

Listen to ‘No Children: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRP6egIEABk

Also released on the 5th November:
2005: Johnny Cash - American IV: The Man Comes Around

No comments:

Post a Comment