31 December 2013

31st December - Live's Mental Jewelry


Artist – Album: Live – Mental Jewelry
Released: 31st December 1991
Sounds Like: Pearl Jamming
 
On Mental Jewelry, Live sound like a blend of lively R.E.M. and soft Pearl Jam. In fact, the Pearl Jam comparison carries further as Ed Kowalczyk manages a passable Eddie Vedder impression, spouting woolly philosophies in his low croon. Yeah, I like that Pearl Jam reference actually. Live on Mental Jewelry are a Pearl Jam-lite.

And that, my friends, is that. 365 days gone and 365 blogs done (with a smattering of specials thrown in for good measure). No more will I have to hammer out a 400-word post at five to midnight semi-drunk. No more will I have to listen to the most obscure niche genres known to man (anti-folk, dark ambient or horrorcore anyone?). No more dodgy headphones, no more pouring over Wikipedia pages and no more Elbow.

When I set out on this Stupid Boy Project back in January I mentioned a few different reasons for taking it up, with one of them being that I wanted to explore my labyrinthine itunes library without just turning to the same few tracks repeatedly. I think that I can safely say mission accomplished, as I’ve discovered countless artists, albums and songs that have I’ve really enjoyed. I hope that you, dear reader, have had almost as much fun following me.

And now, let’s drink and party and bring in the new year! Roll on 2014!

Albumaday... rating: 6/10

1.       Pain Lies on the Riverside – 5:11
2.       Operation Spirit (The Tyranny of Tradition) – 3:18
3.       The Beauty of Gray
4.       Brothers Unaware – 4:45
5.       Tired of Me – 3:26
6.       Mirror Song – 3:38
7.       Waterboy – 3:07
8.       Take My Anthem – 4:37
9.       You Are the World – 4:23
10.   Good Pain – 5:39
11.   Mother Earth is a Vicious Crowd – 4:10
12.   10,000 Years (Peace Is Now) – 5:08
 
Listen to ‘Pain Lies on the Riverside’: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP5XavjhhQc

No comments:

Post a Comment